Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Goodbye Pacifier!

Taken 1 month ago


Alexis has been very emotionally attached to her pacifier since she was a newborn and even though I don't like to admit it, Jonathan & I were just as attached to it. About a year ago we took it away from her except for when she was taking a nap or going to bed but we have been so nervous to take it away completely. Now that we have a new baby on the way it has given us that extra push to get all of these last minute "big girl" changes completed.

So over Easter weekend we decided to do it! We have some friends a few doors down that just had a new baby and so we asked Alexis if she would be a big girl and give her pacifier to baby Scott because he needs it to help him get to sleep and it worked like a charm! We walked over there and had her physically give it to baby Scott and then every time she would ask about her pacifier we would ask her who had it and she would remember that baby Scott had it and she would drop the subject. The first few nights she woke up a few times in the night, but it was just because she needed to learn how to put herself back to sleep without it and now we have been pacifier free for about 10 days now, it feels great!

We are so proud of her, not only was it a great accomplishment for her it was a huge one for us as well, so we are feeling pretty good around here! Now onto the potty training! We had to stop that about 2 months ago because I was sick with the pregnancy and couldn't stay on top of it like I needed to so that is our next big hurdle!

9 comments:

Amy Lou said...

Oh she is such a big girl. Man I wish I could figure something out to potty train Parker. I've tried all sorts of tricks and nothing gets by him. He is being so stubborn.
I'm proud of Alexis. She is so sweet to help Baby Scott.

JessiLeigh said...

Yay! Good job Alexis, and Scott is just loving his new purple pacifier!! ::wink wink::

Emily said...

Congratulations! I totally understand...when we took Easton's away I feel like it was harder on me than it was for him! It's just nice to have an instant silencer sometimes. Glad she was okay with it...great idea on giving them away to her friend!

The Razzle Dazzle Family said...

That is awesome that you were able to get her off the pacifer especially that she was such a big girl to do it herself. You will have to let me know about the potty training cause as soon as we get into our house that is what we are going to go for.

Hoggards said...

I hate the fact that we have to go through the hard time to get rid of something "baby-ish" The diapers and bottles and pacifiers are so convenient and so much easier sometimes! I'm way dreading getting Missy off the bottle and Aaron potty trained. We totally need to get together sometime!

Jennie Minor said...

no more binky? WOW! When I was a nanny I had to "wing" The 2 yr old of his beloved binky. That was hard work. And I am a sucker for when they are crying for it so hard. Congratulations Michelle. Good luck on the potty training. I hear girls are easier than boys?.

THE CHASE FAMILY said...

Way to go Alexis! We knew you could do it.

Jensen Family said...

Good Job babe you guys get the parenting award this month. You'll have to give me tips on potty tranning Afton-yikes

Hall Family said...

That is awesome Michelle. Now if you find a way to get Emma to stop sucking her thumb, PLEASE let me know.